Thursday, September 25, 2008

In search of a "Starbucks"


My goodness, the hassle we can get into when we get an idea into our heads and won’t give up until we get it. It is my fourth day of vacation and I decided that I wanted to go to Starbucks for a coffee (yes, you heard correctly … coffee) and to work on my blog. So I decided that I didn’t want to go to the Starbucks close to me, because it is also close to work and I am on vacation. So I wanted a Starbucks further away and in a different neighborhood. Well, I have to return some library books, so I decide to go to the Starbucks near the library, closer to Columbus. In my very regimented mind, I think that I have to get there between 9 and 10 to get past the morning coffee rush, but before the rest of the morning is lost as well. I hate getting in and out of the hot car in the afternoons, running errands and have a few to get done today. So I get up, jump in the shower and get out of the house as soon as I can, leaving things that I am going to get done this afternoon. The question is: will I???. Now anyone, who knows me, knows that I am simply not a morning person. As I grow older, I wish more and more that I were, because I would certainly get more accomplished. The problem is that I am no longer a night person either. That leaves very little time to get anything done at all. I envy those people who wake up at 6:30 or 7:00 in the morning. If I would let myself, I would still be snoozing at 10:00. This morning, though, I managed to crawl out of the sack at 8:00 a.m. (the best so far, this week, by the way!).

So I am in the car heading down 23 to the Starbucks that I remember just past the library. Lo and behold, it is closed! How dare they close it, when I have a vacation day and want to spend it at Starbucks, working on my computer. Undaunted, I continue on, remembering that there is a Starbucks on every other corner these days. So I drive and I drive and I drive. Trying to be cautious to remember to stop at stoplights while checking out every corner for a Starbucks, I make my way through Worthington and Clintonville. All the while I am saying to myself “ I need to turn around… I am wasting gas…. I am going to end up next door to Leons work in the arena district. ….. I probably just didn’t see it…..Maybe they closed all of them…. And on and on!!!!! Finally common sense takes over and I decide to head back north and go the to Starbucks by work. I get over to the right hand lane and turn into a Krogers lot to get back to the stoplight and get turned around. My disappointment is huge.!!!! …my dreams shattered… my vision of the vacationing “writer” slowly being melted away… my fantasy of sitting there with my latte and my computer dashed. Darn it all, anyway! So I pull up to the stoplight to turn back North onto 23 and across from me is a beacon in the urban jungle , a fulfillment of my fantasy, a Starbucks!!! Naturally I pulled in, got my computer out of the trunk and here I sit.

The other thing that I decided was that I wanted to get a coffee. Again, I am not a coffee drinker, but have lately been sort of enjoying some coffee flavored items. I have tried some coffee flavored chocolates at work and a coffee flavored hot chocolate, among other things. So if ever the time was right to try a great coffee, it was now. I decided that since I am not a connoisseur, I should ask for a suggestion. I told the guy that I was not much of a coffee drinker, but wanted a bit of coffee, with other sweetness and flavors. He fixed me up with a cinnamon dolce latte and I am absolutely in heaven. They should have had these things when I was 18, at college pulling overnighters and gagging down bitter coffee, in order to fit in with the coffee drinkers of my day. Never did acquire the taste. But this is good! I may move on to a stronger more potent coffee eventually.

So I have a really full day and I have accomplished my first goal of having a coffee at Starbucks. What so many people do every day and is so commonplace, but I have done for the first time. No more Starbucks hot chocolate or tea for me. I am getting a latte from now on!! Well, I may get a frappucino from time to time.

Now I have to go home and see how many WW points are in a latte – many, I am sure.

The rest of my day involves returning books, going to Costco, running to the bank and finishing the cushions on my rocking chair. Mundane.... but this too, is part of my vacation.

No comments: