Wednesday, September 10, 2008

A morning with the animals

A big turtle - I am sure Abby is thinking she could ride it!

The sun was shining. The morning was wonderfully cool, as opposed to the past week of 90's+ temperatures; and the animals were so happy with the cool weather. Leon, Carrie, Abby and I visited the Indianapolis Zoo on Saturday morning and were treated to a show by the animals. Carrie and Abby visit the zoo on a regular basis, since they have a membership. Abby loves the animals. Carrie said the animals were especially active this Saturday and we surmised that the cool weather was the reason. I am including pictures which really tell the story, but a few comments as to my impressions, as well.


The giraffes were amazing. They were all up and moving and coming very close to the viewing area. I got some great shots, but can't put them all on, so picked the best ones. The first one is one where I caught three all at the same time. The second one is of one of their faces. They have the most beautiful faces and their eyes are absolutely enchanting. The pictures do not do them justice.


Another exhibit that was absolutely wonderful were the walruses. I really did not want to leave. I never realized how interactive these creatures are. They were behind glass as you can see and if you would put your hand on the glass they come right up and put their snout right against it. When you move your hand, they move their snout. It was beyond belief. The other thing that was amazing about them was their whiskers. I can't describe it and the picture really does not show it, but their whiskers seem to be alive on their own. They are amazing. All in all, I guess the emotion is "amazing"

The penguins were also really neat, but they moved so fast that I couldn't get a shot of them moving, although I tried many times.

A great morning at the zoo. We'll be back

No comments: