Tuesday, September 16, 2008

The power is back on

Pshew.!!! What a weekend!! Ike made his presence know on Sunday. The winds were unbelievable. I don't believe that I have ever seen that much wind from a hurricane this far north. We lost power, of course, as did many many other people in the area. Schools are still shut down tomorrow, which is Wednesday. We were lucky enough to get power back after 24 hours. It was on when I got home from work yesterday and what a relief! I can remember when the girls were young, the power going off was a sort of an adventure. We would light candles and play games. Luckily, we never had to endure long term outages. Now, it is no adventure.. I really hate it. But we survived and didn't have any losses from food spoilage. We just never opened the freezer or refrigerator and everything pretty much made it all that time.

We had a couple of shingles on the roof that flapped around some, but damage was really pretty much non-existent for us. Not so with many other people. There was siding blown off, shingles blown off and all kinds of debris blown around. I feel so bad for all of them and yet so grateful that we made it through okay.


I have been wanting to knit lately, but can't seem to get going, so I sat down last night (with the lights and TV on, mind you!!) and made this flower from a YouTube demo. I love YouTube- If you want to do something, it is probably on there. My next thing that I want to do is watch "The Last Lecture" by Pausch. Apparently it is on You Tube. I will blog about it when I see it. Anyhow, I really think this flower is neat. I think it would be great on a a cute hat!

No comments: