Saturday, July 12, 2008

Roller skates




I went to lunch yesterday with my friends from work. We celebrated Sharon's birthday and went to the Cheesecake Factory. Well, the conversation got around to roller skates (I have no idea how), like we used to wear when we were kids. At least those of us who are old. (no names, please!). The kind of metal roller skates that strapped on over our shoes. And the magical part was that they had keys. I guess they were used either to lock the wheels or to adjust the size. I can't remember, for sure. Anyhow, those roller skate keys were quite the prized possession in our day. Sharon remembers wearing it on a string around her neck. I kept thinking about a song that I thought Janis Joplin did about roller skates and keys, but couldn't come up with it. Nobody else knew what I was talking about. ( I will admit to being the most senior one at the table), so it is possible they were babies, while I was listening to Janis (God rest her soul).

I checked the internet for the lyrics and was delighted to find them on this site. The internet constantly amazes me. You can find absolutely anything!!!!

I thought that Janis Joplin did this number, but the site refers to Melanie, so I am not sure and didn't take the time to research further.

Here are the lyrics, girls!!. I didn't put in the last verse, but you can find it on the site listed. I am sure that anyone of my approximate age can hum this one without even thinking about it. :


I rode my bicycle past your window last night

I roller-skated to your door at daylight

It almost seems like you're avoiding me

I'm okay alone, but you got something I need


CHORUS

Well, I got a brand new pair of roller skates

You got a brand new key

I think that we should get together

And try them out to see

I been looking around awhile

You got something for me

Oh, I got a brand new pair of roller skates

You got a brand new key



I ride my bike, I roller skate don't drive no car

Don't go too fast, but I go pretty far

For somebody who don't drive, I been all around the world

Some people say, I done all right for a girl


By the way, have I said how much I love that Flickr site. I can find pictures of absolutely anything -- credit for the above photos goes to Flickr

No comments: