Friday, July 4, 2008

God bless America - Happy 4th of July

(photo from Flickr.com)
Happy Independance Day - Hope your holiday has been good and the rest of the weekend is a great one. Also Happy Birthday to my sister, Sandi!!!!!!!!! There couldn't have been a better fit for a birthday and a holiday than my sister and Independance Day. She is a firecracker!!
We watched Red, White and Boom last night on television. I know, I know - couch potatoes - we should have driven downtown to see it. We have only been to it once, the first year we were here, but we watch it every year. We really need to get down there again some year. It turns out that this would have been a good year. It was not hot and the rain passed by. There was plenty of room and traffic was not bad. Oh well, maybe next year, we always say that. But we may go to Delaware for some fireworks tonight. That will be fireworks on a smaller scale. Delaware is a smaller town just north of us. We are actually in Delaware County, but consider ourselves living in Columbus, which is in Franklin County. We are actually just about 5 miles north of Columbus proper. Delaware is a town that is closer to the size of our home town, Elkhart, IN, maybe just a tad bigger, but not much.
We are sort of spreading our holiday out. Last night we watched RW & B and today I walked down to the corner and our area parade was passing by. Parades are so 'Americana'. I always just marvel at the small town feel of a parade ... from the high school bands to the firetrucks to the candy throwing floats. It really is just pretty cool. There are decorated bicycle units, baton twirlers, little dancers and I love watching the kids along the parade route. I really wish I had my camera with me.
Tomorrow is when we will do our cook out. Brats with slaw and strawberry shortcake. Hopefully the weather will cooperate. I will make sure to take pictures. I think it will just be the two of us, but we won't let that stop us. We had our family get together in Indianapolis and now we will just celebrate quietly. There is something kind of nice about that. We will need to record the national concert and firework shows as well. I just thought of that, so I can just sit down and watch as I knit or crochet. Sometimes we forget how incredibly lucky we are here in the US.
One last thing - I have discovered the wealth of pictures that I can use from the Flickr site. I will always try to take and use my own, but sometimes I may blog on something with no real pictures to share. So I am excited about the Flickr site and that I can add those pictures to my blogs. I will always credit the site, when I use their pictures. I think that I am okay to do that, since they are put out there for public viewing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thank you for the Happy Birthday sis! it was a great one! I am so impressed with your photography skills and I can tell you are having a ball with your camera!