Saturday, July 5, 2008

more July 4th fun




Credits to "Lodie, herself" for the photos
Well, we made it to the concert at OWU and the fireworks afterwards in Delaware. It was really nice, good temperature and no rain. We took our lawn chairs and although we forgot our mosquito spray, there was enough on other people to sort of keep us relatively safe. The campus was crowded and people and kids were all over. Most everyone enjoyed the music, although the group behind us were a bit rowdy. They had several children and they played pretty 'vigorously' throughout the concert. When we started to pack up our chairs to leave, Leon says "I am going to throw these chairs away when we get home". I looked at him like he was out of his mind and said 'why would you do that?' He answers just as serious as can be. "Because they must have blankety blank signs on the backs of them that say 'if you are noisy, and have no respect for other people, sit here'." I guess he was a bit frustrated!!!

Anyhow the band played all the standard Independance Day fare, ending with the 1812 Overture and Stars and Stripes. The fireworks were pretty neat for a smaller town. Leon managed to help me find the 'fireworks' setting on my camera and I actually took some pictures. They are not great, but I think you can tell what they are. I can't decide if the squiggles are from the fireworks moving or me moving the camera.





This morning we got up and went to the Worthington Farmers Market to look at the produce and the plants. It is such a cool farmers market and we had not been there yet this year. I am including pictures of the lilies I bought ( my vacation splurge) and some herbs that Leon got for his strawberry pot. We didn't get there until around 10:30 and things were pretty much bought up, so the plan for next week is to get there a bit earlier.


Tonight, we finally got around to using a gift card that I got from work. I received a gift card from my region for planning the birthday parties. The card is for one of the Cameron Mitchell restaurants, which are some of the nicer restaurants in Columbus. I received it in the last couple months of 2007 and have just not gotten around to using it. So I sort of wrapped up my vacation, by making a reservation and we went there tonight for dinner. It was Marcella's restaurant and the food was very good. It is Italian cuisine, one of my favorites. We couldn't decide between that and Molly Woo's, which is Chinese. I decided that Italian is my favorite and I got the card, so I made the final choice.
Tomorrow is my last day of vacation and I am not looking forward to returning to work. There is something about the end of vacation that is just no fun. No matter how hard I try to keep the 'vacation feeling' after I return to work, I just can't seem to accomplish it. It is that carefree, no-hurry-to-do-anything feeling. If I could figure how to package it, I would be a billionaire. Next break is the end of September. Seems like a long time!

No comments: