Friday, August 15, 2008

regressing to the "waterfire on the mile"

Oh my gosh, what a horrible week this has been at work. I have never been so glad to see Friday at 5:00 in my life. I think I will be really nice to myself this weekend. I came home and made soup which turned out pretty good. I have been wanting to make a vegetable soup for quite a while. I know it's summer and I usually do the soup thing in the winter, but I have been in the mood. It has also been just a bit cooler, so I just did it. I wanted to use noodles and beans in my soup, but mostly wanted vegetables. I think I succeeded. I forgot to get a picture when it was in the pan, so I had to hold Leon off and take a picture of his bowl. Of course, he puts hot sauce on everything, so the red stuff is hot sauce.

I want to regress a week to share the other event that we went to last weekend. After the movie that we went to at the Arena Grand downtown, we went down to the riverfront to see the "Waterfire on the Mile". We have heard about it several times and kept intending to get down there to see it. This is just the second year (I think) and the first time they did it, they had a news team there and it was on TV. The concept comes from Providence, RI where they also do it. They set up these 'pylon' type things in the river and light them on fire. The fire reflects in the water and is quite beautiful. Of course, this is all after dark. Leon and I both took our cameras, but I could not get a good picture after they were lit. I tried several different settings on my camera, including fireworks - and it just didnt work. Many people there were also taking pictures and some of them even had their cameras on tripods. I wonder if their cameras were just better or maybe they didn't get good pictures either. Leon was not particularly happy with his pictures either. I am adding them here, but be forewarned that they definitely are not reflective of the beauty of the fire. There are some nice pictures of the buildings on the other side of the river before dark as well, that I will share.

No comments: