Monday, April 14, 2008

Another "In Memoriam"



Frances Mae Escott Kidder, Elkhart, IN; January 1919- April 2008


Well, she finally got what she wanted. To go home to God, and I for one, am grateful for her. She lived a long life, but a very sad and difficult one. She was a victim of the horrible ravages of mental illness. There, I have said it. It has always been difficult for her family to watch and speaking only for myself, I didn't handle it well at all. I have regrets, but don't know if I could have done it any differently, had I had the opportunity. She didn't deserve what she was handed and it wasn't her fault. It was a shame. This disease ruined her and tore apart a family.
On the positive side, in her lucid moments, she was a true lady, gentle and kind, feminine and soft. She could be so loving. I don't remember much from my early childhood, but would like to share a couple of things that I do remember. I remember her reading to me, night after night. I would lie in my little bed and she would read bible stories to me. I still remember many of the words to one particular story, that I had memorized as a child. She thought I was the smartest thing around.

I remember her taking hair curlers out of my hair after I fell asleep, because she thought they would hurt me and I wouldn't sleep well. (I was in that sleepy, but aware state and have remembered it for many years).


I was around 8 years old when she had to leave us.

I am 54 and she is going home, free-spirited.

I think she can love Daddy now!! I hope they find each other in heaven!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Faye, what a wonderful and honest tribute to our mother's life. You so beautifully acknowledged the sadness of her life but ended with such hope and positive spin. I so agree with you that she is home now and free spirited and I think too, with Daddy. Thank you for your 'from the heart' comments. much love, your sis