Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Walking Finn

Finn and I have been walking twice a day every day. Though I find it difficult to get out the door sometimes, I really am enjoying this time and am always glad that I managed to get it done.

First of all, the benefits for Finn are important to our peace of mind. His puppy energy is a force all of it's own and that exercise is absolutely essential to OUR sanity. It gives him a chance to run and jump and sniff and experience. Now I know that I am supposed to train him to walk beside me at a dignified, sedate rate speeding up when I do and slowing down when I do. But I just don't have the heart for that - he spends all day in a crate while we are at work and all night in a crate while we sleep. The poor little guy deserves to get a little exercise on his walks, so I let him run and jump as much as he can on his retractable leash. Maybe in a few months, I will begin some training on our walks.


Secondly , the walks are really good for me too. When I get out in that cool crisp morning air, it just gives me a better start to my day. It gives me a chance to breathe clean fresh air and when there is snow, well that is even better. But the snowy walks are my favorites when they are in the evening. When Finn and I walk at night, it is just a really different feeling. The lights from the houses give a warm feel to the neighborhood and the snow just adds to the ambience. I wanted to try and capture that feeling the other night, so I can in to grab my camera. There was no snow, so it was not quite the total feeling, but it was a start. Using the nighttime setting was my first move, but I still need to work to get better pictures. I intend to continue working on getting that ambience feeling in a photo, so stay tuned (plus, snow is coming), but for now, here is what I have.

No comments: