Saturday, July 11, 2009

Dancing girls - four years old


When Katie and I went to the quilt show a couple of weeks ago, one of the fun things that we do is to shop at the vendors booths. We always seem to come away with something really cool to do or really cool fabric. Last year we got tools to attach "bling" to fabric. Katie has gotten into needlepunch from the kit that she got at the quilt show. Of course, we are women and love to shop, so there have been many temptations at the quilt show, some of which we give into and some not.

Well, this year, I was walking down one of the aisles and spied a fabric panel with a row of little ballerinas on a stage in the five ballet positions. Having just been to Abby's dance recital, I knew I had to get it. It was so cute and all I needed to do was simply quilt it. It was two weekends before we were going to Indianapolis for Abby's birthday, so I decided I would give it to her for her birthday.

I purchased it, took it home, picked out a backing fabric, got out mh batting and started in. Now I don't have the patience to hand quilt and I am not very good at it anyhow, so I machine quilted it. Having taken a class in machine quilting, I was hopeful that I could do it, without much practice. Machine quilting is not difficult, but requires a lot of practice and I hadn't been practicing. The end of the story is that I did quilt it on the machine and there are a lot of little errors, but I was still pleased as punch. So I picked out some border fabric and finished it up.

When you're four, toys are the most important thing at your birthday, but she sat right on that quilt to play with her toys. As Martha would say "It was a good thing".





Her bicycle basket, streamers and bell

And something for Lily, too!

No comments: