Monday, January 26, 2009

Knitting like crazy - what's on the needles
















I am having so much fun knitting and have been learning so much. I started about 6 months ago, having not knitted since I was a pre- teenager. I have always crocheted, but knitting is really pretty new. Since I started, I have learned to knit in the round, (that means juggling 5 needles at one time in order to knit something round without a seam). That is really pretty amazing, for me! I have experimented with cables, although I have not made anything. That is really cool and I am waiting for just the right pattern. I think the key thing is finding small projects, so that I don't start something and then not feel like finished it. The perfect project for knitting in the round is a baby cap. I have made 4 caps, but they just weren't quite right, but I just finished the fifth one and I think that I finally have it right. So the four that I have finished will be donated and this one will go to the new little person in my family. I just hope that it fits. I hope that doesn't sound bad to donate the ones that I am not happy with. I actually plan to make some more to donate. By the way, if you knit and want to donate baby hats for newborns, I can get you the address. It is a great program!
Having finished the hat(s), I am now working on a neck warmer. These are quite the fashion statement right now and they are really pretty easy and have great patterns. They just go around your neck under your coat like a scarf. This one will have buttons on it and will button around the neck. Any takers? I think it will be done in a couple of weeks. Here is a picture of mine and a picture of the one on the pattern. Can you tell which is which? Of course you can, I still need lots of practice. Mine is on the second one. Plus I have a ways to go yet.

2 comments:

fairy door said...

how adorable! you really are the crafty sister! I can't believe all the darling things you are creating.

I will be thinking of all of you on the 30th!

we have up to 10 to 15 inches of snow coming today and tomorrow - are you getting some of it?

Carrie said...

Nice- I was literally just thinking I need a warm hat for the baby when we come home from the hospital. Don't forget yours, and we'll use that one! Are you getting excited?!?!?!