Sunday, June 1, 2008

Made of Honor (at the movies)



I took a couple more pictures of the peony bush and my geranium plant, to show the progress and I must say, that in a weeks time, they are much more beautiful.


We went to see Made of Honor last night and it was a cute little movie. It was very predictable, a romantic variation on a theme, but I never get tired of the cute little romantic movies. This one had Patrick Dempsey in it and I don't think I have ever seen him in a move, although he is great in Grey's Anatomy. Maybe I have just not seen him in the starring role as he was last night. Anyhow, I gave it four stars on my blog rating box. I saw some previews that I really want to see, as well. Naturally, I can't remember the names. One was the one with Adam Sandler in his role as a hairdresser - something about Zohan - looked funny! There was another one that was more dramatic. Something about people (as in civilization) disappearing from the cities. Sort of like the rapture!?!


So I have been reading a couple of books that have made their way, quite by accident into my hands and I have to wonder if God, the universe, fate, the great spirit, my high power or Mother God has something to do with it. The two books are discussions of spirituality apart from the traditional religious theology that so many of us have been raised (and courageously, I say also mired) in. I have struggled with the concept of traditional religion for most of my life for a number of reasons, and in fact I would say that I fear religion to some extent. Some of the different philosophies I am reading about, I find very interesting and can see such value in them. The first book that I started and am just working on finishing up is The Shack. It is a story of a man and his 'visit' with the trinity - the father, the son and the holy spirit. The story is clearly fiction, but the ideas presented and the manner of presentation is pretty amazing. It certainly makes you stop and think. I really need to read it twice. It would certainly be criticized, if not rejected by conservative theological people, but for those who feel comfortable enough to question and to think outside the religious box, it gives much to think about.


The second book is called The Knitting Sutra. I picked it up at the library along with some pattern books, expecting to find a humorous book about knitting. I totally did not expect a 'spiritual' book, but this lady in her spiritual search studied all the 'isms', the religions of various native groups, such as native americans, guatemaleon (sp) groups, etc. and as she knitted her way through her life experiences, she became spiritually fed and at peace. Her learning about herself was monumental. Again, I need to read it twice, but my thought is, after reading both of these books that we all are brought up in a society that views religion differently. Who is to say that my religion is more right than the native Americans or the guatemalan people. We all have our 'documentation' - ours is the Bible. But that does not preclude the consideration of other experiences that other people(s) have, nor does it negate their 'documentation' . The study of religion really is quite fascinating, if you have the ability to see all of them as viable and indicative of their higher power, whether that be a spirit far off or within themselves. I found much in these books that I loved, quotes that I read three and four times.
From The Knitting Sutra by Susan Gordon Lydon:
" Two things have occurred to me over and over again while knitting. One is the old saw about the devil making work for idle hands, except with a twist. If the devil makes work for idle hands, then could constantly busy hands entice angels to whisper in the knitter's ear? and is it possible that female spirituality through the ages may have been concealed in the minutiae of domestic life rather than expressed in the grandiosity and pomposity of churches and sermons?"

No comments: