Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Shower preparations



Lissy's baby shower gave us an opportunity to be creative. It is always fun to plan something that requires some fun ways to decorate. As many of you know, Melissa is doing the nursery in cute owls. So Carrie and I decided to plan the shower in the same theme. We chose colors of brown and blue. I am now thinking of the things that I didn't take a picture of, but that is just par for the course, I guess. The main thing is the cute paper lanterns that we hung up.

But some cute things that Carrie did was to wrap water bottles in baby/owl paper. She also wrapped cans in the paper to use for flowers and the plastic silverware. The plates and cups were super cute - just classic baby boy blue and brown. Abby did the very special job of alternating blue and brown cups so that they were quite the striking decoration in themselves, which of course matched the punch of baby boy blue.

Of course the food is decorative in itself, with lots of yummy treats. I made special triple salted caramel cupcakes. They were really good, but I am not sure that I will do that again. They were filled with caramel filling and then frosted with caramel frosting. I am not even going to tell you how rich that frosting was, but the adventure was very time consuming. I was originally planning to make a spun sugar embellishment, but it turns out that was not meant to be; so a sprinkle of sparkly gold sugar completed the cupcakes. Oh yeah, and I actually purchased a cupcake stand to display them. Hopefully there will be an opportunity to use it again. I made Russian teacakes and lemon bars as well, but I didn't get a picture of them.

We served meatballs, deviled eggs and fruit in addition to the cookies and cupcakes.






No comments: