Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Island Time




I am sitting on the deck of my sister's condo in St. Simons Island, GA on the 5th day of my vacation. First of all, THANKS SIS!!! This is a beautiful place and we are having an absolutely wonderful time. We both needed this time away so much! The first couple of days that we were here were a bit in the "adapting" category. Trying to figure out what to see, where to go, what to eat and where, learning the directions, the lay of the land, where to put things, how to use the laundry room, etc. I was in the mind that I needed to be doing something, seeing something all the time, although I knew that this was physically impossible and really doesn't fit the definition of vacation.

Today, I am on island time. I have relaxed. I know where to go if I want to and how to get there and although our time is limited, I do still have tomorrow. I don't feel guilty reading a book, because after I do, I ride my bike down to the pier and wade in the ocean. It is wonderful. I feel settled.

Now no vacation is complete without an "injury" and there is a certain weird sort of 'pride' in a vacation injury, assuming it is minor with no real after effects or anything to slow you down. I think this pride comes from the fact that 1.) we are on vacation, so we are out of our routine and not in the day to day and 2.) at least we are doing something. So it was our second night here and we had walked down to the DQ (thank God for Dairy Queen); anyhow I digress. By the time we walked back, it was dark. I would like to say that I was skiing, skateboarding, or some other very exciting endeavor, but no; I was walking. All of a sudden I was on the ground, after having tripped over a bump in the sidewalk. I got skinned up a bit (as you can see, 2 hands, one knee). After having scrambled up onto my feet, I 'fessed up to Leon that I was being nosy and trying to figure out where some people talking was coming from (their own deck, by the way) and wasn't paying attention to what I was doing. ......Orrrr I was skateboarding through the park, jumped over a tree branch trying to land back on the skateboard and fell?!? Anyhow, very minor scrapes and not a problem, but it seems to go with vacation time, right?

1 comment:

sandi stonebraker said...

ouch Faye - it looks like it might have been sore! But at least you felt how to go forth on ISLAND TIME!
The pics are great - thank you!