Thursday, September 24, 2009

Decisions, decisions


I am trying to decide whether it is time to get a dog again, or whether I just want to be a cat person. So I have decided to do a pros and cons list. I have been surfing the pet finder site until I almost feel like a voyeur (well, not quite). There are small decisions like big or small, male or female, mature dog or puppy, what breeds to consider, and on and on and on. It is a huge responsibility that lasts for 10-15 years. I am just so afraid that I will regret it, that I am afraid to commit. What should I do? I can't depend upon Leon to make this decision. He is way too much of a softie!!!

Pros
companionship
proven to relieve stress
more exercise and outside time for walking
fun
gives a dog a home


Cons
limits our ability to go away or travel
housetraining, letting out and how to confine to yard
cleaning up yard, dealing with hair
they are hard on carpet and furniture
cost - food, vet, etc.
will disrupt the cats

4 comments:

Leon said...

Hmm, the softies says I don't think cleaning up after them is a con that you can use.

Carrie said...

I love the idea, but you I think you have to be willing to kennel it.

Melissa said...

ditto Carrie. I think you should go for it!!!

Miranda said...

You definitely know my opinion. Go for it!! I always think at first "oh my what have I gotten myself into" but that only lasts a few days while everything is "new".