Saturday, May 23, 2009

A good book


I have had the opportunity for the first time in a while to finish a book by my favorite author. It was one of those times when I just was absorbed by the book. The book was very good, but it also may have been that I was just in the mood to get lost in a book. Nothing is more pleasant! I have not had time to read for personal pleasure lately, with work and reading for my book club, and all the other things that keep me busy. However, I have been sick lately and used the opportunity to get into a new book that has been laying around for some time.

I have read almost all of Anne Rivers Siddons books, but was delighted to find one that I had not yet read. Off Season was delightful and happy and sad all at once. It was a love story, not only between two individuals, but a love story between the main character and her childhood home, a community, memories and lessons learned in those times. This was a book roughly equivalent to my age and growing up period, so I could really relate in so many ways.

I won't bore you, or spoil the book for you by giving away the conclusion of the story, but it is about a girl who spent her summers at the family lake home and how they shaped her life.

I was particularly moved by the impact of that home and 'lake life'. It was possible for me to read the book and absolutely put the story and atmosphere into my own context. Although my childhood was different in many ways, I think most people reading the book could relate to their childhood memories and how we all wish to grab back some of those moments in our adulthood.
Also how they often sustain us through our adulthood and even old age, just as they did Lilley, in the book.

1 comment:

fairy door said...

great review! makes me want to run out and get the book - hope the library has it!